Sunday, April 19, 2009

One night in the garden of Little and Big Edie Beale..




I made two new friends yesterday. Their names? Little Edie and Big Edie. I think we're going to be real close.

Last night was the premiere of the Grey Gardens, a full-length HBO film based on a famous 1975 documentary of the same name. The wonderful movie (which stars the loverly Drew Barrymore (psst..I think it's Drew Barrymore day on DIVA because they're playing 50 First Dates, Charlie's Angels and Never Been Kissed!) and the legendary Jessica Lange) focuses on the tragic but immensely engaging true story of Edith "Big Edie" Bouvier Beale and Edith "Little Edie" Beale, Jackie O's aunt and first cousin who gained attention for living amongst 52 cats and an infinite amount of garbage in their 28-room retreat in the Hamptons. It sounds like a really upsetting tale, but it's strangely charming, mostly due to the eccentric dialogue which randomly spews out of the Edies mouths. Just try not to love Little Edie's "best costume for today" spiel. Barrymore really makes it come to life, but really, there's nothing like seeing the real thing.

While I really enjoyed the latest adaptation, the documentary is a whole different breed of awesome. I watched it right after seeing the new version, thanks to HBO's programming geniuses. The new version focuses more on the girls early life as glamorous socialites (Drew wears some beautiful 30s garb, so beautiful in fact, I might have to devote a whole post just to it!) whereas the original zooms in on the Edies in their later years, which to me, is the most interesting part of their strange, strange story. I love seeing Little Edie in her "revolutionary costume"and Big Edie singing "Tea for Two" in bed with her old photographs.



At times, you feel bad for the old gals. But really, I don't think either of them hated what their life became. In fact, I think they loved it. It's almost like they knew that one day a film crew would come in and want to document every quirk-filled moment of their day. Either that, or they really just loved spending time with each other and didn't really give a damn about anyone else. Both work for me.

I'm not sure if the documentary will appeal to everyone but if you're not sure, check out the HBO film and then make your decision. But if you're intrigued at all, please check out the doc. It's campy but true to life - which to me, is the recipe for perfection.

Want more reasons to fall for the girls of Grey Gardens? Check out this clip from the Tony Award-winning musical based on their story. I haven't seen it, but god knows I NEED to.





Mood Music: "What About Love?" by The Color Purple cast

No comments:

Post a Comment