Wednesday, April 8, 2009

De-vinyl...


I have always been fascinated by records. But for some reason, I've never bought one. I've just admired them from afar. I cannot tell you how many times I've looked at my mom's copy of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road with an intense longing to fall victim to a freak time warp and end up in a 1970s record store that has "Bennie and the Jets" playing in the background.

I rarely even buy CDs anymore. As disgusting as it is to say, everything is so much easier via online outlets. But vinyl is so different. People don't frame CD booklets. But I'm sure there's dozens of people with a copy of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band or The Velvet Underground & Nico hanging on their wall. And why? Because they aren't just filmsy packs of paper or meaningless files. They're works of art.

I'm going to make it a personal goal to jump on the vinyl bandwagon this year. My first mission? To get my hands on a copy of Purple Rain.

Mood Music: "Unsatisfied" by The Replacements

No comments:

Post a Comment