Monday, July 6, 2009

Peachy keen..




This week I took a bite of a delicious teen novel by the name of Peaches and let me tell you friends, I am still salivating.

The scrumptous slice of loverly-ness is a like a Southern Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants (or teen Ya-Ya Sisterhood) minus the supernatural pantalones. The Jodi Lynn Anderson novel follows the lives of three teenage girls, who, in the immortal words of the Lyte Funky Ones,"come from Georgia where the peaches grow, drink lemonade and speak real slow". Their names are Birdie (the shy but sweet one), Murphy (the wild but smart one) and Leeda (the rich but sad one) and at the beginning of the novel, they seem worlds apart. But after spending a summer together working at a failing peach orchard, they grow to discover that, like the peaches they've been picking everyday, although they seem to be completely unique from one another, on the inside, they are extremely similar.

Yeah, I know, sounds completely cheestastic, right? Sometimes it is. But more than often, it's just as sweet as can be (that was not me be trying to sound like Sookie Stackhouse or anything). I am totally biased, because I have a sweet tooth for anything Southern-fried (see: my life-long love for Fried Green Tomatoes) but I honestly think that if you're looking for a genuinely light and feel-good book, this will hit the spot. If you're anything like me, you'll spend two lovely days getting sunburned in a hammock and drinking gallons of lemonade while falling in love these characters. Especially Birdie, who both friend my Candis and I agree is pretty much my literary counterpart. Plus, it's the first in a series of three books (the others being, The Secrets of Peaches and Love & Peaches), so it'll give you a nice juicy series to sink your teeth into this summer.

All foodie puns aside, I genuinely think you should give this little book a chance. And if you hate it, well, just take it down to the Handy Book Exchange (a.k.a. my new favourite Avenue Rd. indoorsy girl hotspot) and get yourself something more your style. Cause seriously, nothing is more summery and dreamy than getting lost in a good book. Except maybe actually getting outside. But that's it.

Mood Music: "Paranoid" by the Jonas Brothers (I AM TWELVE)

No comments:

Post a Comment