Sunday, October 25, 2009

Wild Things, you make my heart sing..



I finally got to see the Spike Jones version of Where the Wild Things Are this weekend. And to paraphrase one of my favourite Wild Things, I could have eaten up, I loved it so!

I can't pinpoint the exact moment or thing that made me fall for this beautiful movie because honestly, there is so much that is right about it. Karen O's soundtrack is goosebump-enducing(Please, listen to it now!). The landscape that provides the backdrop for Max's adventure is beyond epic. The monsters, or rather, Max's wild friends, are so real-looking it's out of control. Max Records' performance as the king of the Wild Things is almost too perfect (How old is this boy?! He conveyed so much emotion in this movie, sometimes I forgot he was just a kid!) And the story, oh, the story, is just the most heartbreakingly bittersweet and beautiful thing I have seen in a long time (I am tearing up just thinking about it).

From the minute the Warner Brothers logo appeared wonderfully vandalized by Max's wild drawings during the opening credits, Where the Wild Things Are just stole my heart. And if you still have a childhood innocence buried somewhere within your supposedly grown-up soul, it will steal yours away too. At least for a few hours. And you know what, that's enough. Because when it comes down to it, we're all like little Max, with his raggidy old wolf suit and makeshift crown. Sometimes we just need to get away from the harsh realities of life for a while and get a little wild.


Mood Music: "Hideaway" by Karen O and the Kids

No comments:

Post a Comment