Sunday, October 4, 2009

Bang on!



(Oh, geek love. Photo: fanpop.)

After a year or so of brushing it off as Two and Half Men go geek, I decided to give in and give the first season of The Big Bang Theory a go this weekend.

Having been very anti-BBT for quite some time, I did not make this decision on a whim. In the spirit of the show's science-loving characters, my choice was a result of weeks of careful research (mostly just reading reviews and asking people what they thought of it). Well, that and season 2 of Flight of the Conchords was already out at Videoflicks on Friday and I had a jonesin' for a giggle.

At first, I was hesitant to laugh at Leonard and Sheldon's geektastic adventures, afraid that I might actually like this more than it's partner in Monday night half-hour hilarity, How I Met Your Mother. But as I kept playing episode after episode, I began to warm up to the nerds. Eventually, I was even laughing out loud. In fact, in the hilarious haze of Star Trek references, awkward social situations and jokes about the Doppler Effect, I managed to finish the entire season. My conclusion? It's like what I imagine it would be like if Sam, Bill and Neal grew up, found an Indian BFF, relocated to California and moved across the hall from Elle Woods. In other words: AWESOME.

I am sure part of the reason I am feeling the love for this show is that geeky guys seem to be my weakness, or kryptonite if you will. (Is it just me or is Leonard kind of totally adorkable? I am into his whole boy-in-hoodie with curly hair and thick glasses look.) But when it really comes down to it, I think my heart-on (much love, Michael Scott) for BBT comes from the fact that I kinda identify with Sheldon, Leonard, Howard and Rajesh. I'm a nerd too. Just not when it comes to string theory and Dr. Who. But just mention Buffy or hyperboles and I'll geek out faster than a speeding bullet.

Mood Music: "Maybe This Time" by Kristin Chenoweth and Lea Michele

No comments:

Post a Comment