Sunday, September 27, 2009

Girl, put your records on..









"...tell me your favourite song. Just go ahead, let your hair down..."

While I was in Nova Scotia, chillaxing with Mama Gagne's side of the fam jam, my cousin Cate and I stumbled upon a musical jackpot.

My grandpa has quite the collection of old vinyl in his living room. I've always seen them laying around every time I've come down to visit, but I never took a genuine gander at them. Usually I'm too busy playing Scattergories or some silly homemade game (think Hedbanz minus the bands and plus some hobo Post-Its) to even think about them. However, this trip Cate and I found ourselves mysteriously drawn to the stacks of vintage tunes.

At first, the collection seemed kinda old-folky (i.e. way too many Barry Manilow and Willie Nelson records). But on further inspection, I started to uncover gem after gem of old-school musical delights. The delish selections included Judy Garland at Carnagie Hall, Dolly Parton's Greatest Hits (UNOPENED!), the My Fair Lady soundtrack, Blondie, The Sound of Music, Jesus Christ Superstar and lots of Frank Sinatra. Needless to say, we were in love.

Under a contagious spell of blast-from-the-past euphoria, Cate and I spent most of our days in Wallace dancing around like Lindsay Weir in the presence of a Grateful Dead record, our arms swaying aimlessly and our eyes closed. Of course, we went back to playing our game of Spit or Clue as soon as anyone else entered the room, but we still managed to do some serious head-bobbing while we played.

Just as I thought my love for the Wallace musical library couldn't grow any bigger (my heart was already getting quite crowded just being in Nova Scotia again), I found out how much my grandpa loved that we were getting into the records. My cousin said she overheard him telling someone he had been thinking about selling the property again but after he saw us getting all excited by the vinyl and "getting into the spirit of the place", he realized how stupid he was to even think about selling. How adorable is that? If I had known putting on a Dolly record would get him to see what I've seen in the place my whole life, I would have put down my trashy books and playing cards way sooner.

Mood Music: "Althea" by The Grateful Dead

No comments:

Post a Comment