Wednesday, March 25, 2009

All the nights we stayed up talking, listening to 80s songs and quoting lines from all those movies that we love. It still brings a smile to my face.



Tonight I went to see an advanced screening of Adventureland and let me tell you, I am in love. Not with the movie. But with the soundtrack.

Don't get me wrong, the movie was good (being an 80s freakazoid (I rest my case) I am required to see it at least once more) but the music was great. From the moment I heard James (Jesse Eigenberg) and Connell (Ryan Reynolds) listening to Lou Reed's "Satellite of Love" while getting high on a mid-afternoon drive (not quite as epic as Brian Slade and Curt Wild's trippy love train ride in Velvet Goldmine, but still good), I knew I was going to love the soundtrack. Honestly, they didn't even need to use any other good songs because that song is so good that it would literally make-up for anything. But they didn't stop at those irresistable "bum-ba-bumb"s. As the movie went on, the music just got better.

Just a while later, Kristen Stewart's character Emily (!) and James watched fireworks as Crowded House's sweet, sweet track "Don't Dream It's Over" played in the background. Then when the duo got high at work on "special cookies" and rode the bumper cars, The Cure's epic "Just Like Heaven" set the scene. I can't remember the exact instances that the other orgasmic 80s tunes rocked out on screen but let me just say that INXS' "Don't Change", David Bowie's "Modern Love", The Rolling Stones' "Tops"and Wang Chung's "Dance Hall Days" made the deliciously retro cut.

In essense, the soundtrack was an 80s nerd's wet dream. I always talk about buying soundtracks to movies I like but usually, I just buy them because I love the movie so much (case in point: my copy of the Can't Hardly Wait soundtrack has gotten way too much play since I bought in 1998). The movie was definetly enjoyable (Martin Starr remains a geek god in my eyes and plays pretty much Bill Haverchuck if he graduated high school, grew out his hair, got a moustache and starting reading a lot of Russian lit) but I wouldn't say I fell madly in love with it(although I am going to make it a personal goal to own a stuffed banana with one googly eye and an eye patch). So if I bought the soundtrack (which, at this point, I definetly will), it would be an act of pure 80s music love. And I would listen to it way too much. Maybe not as much as those Adventureland kiddies endured "Rock Me Amadeus" though. But still, that CD would definetly be violated by the time I was through with it.

Here is the full-listing of 80s-licious tracks from the official soundtrack album (check out the rest of the songs in the movie here). Download and love.


ADVENTURELAND SOUNDTRACK:

1 Satellite Of Love / Lou Reed
2 Modern Love / David Bowie
3 I'm In Love With A Girl / Big Star
4 Just Like Heaven / The Cure
5 Rock Me Amadeus / Falco
6 Don’t Change / INXS
7 Your Love / The Outfield
8 Don't Dream It's Over / Crowded House
9 Looking For A Kiss / The New York Dolls
10 Don't Want To Know If You Are Lonely / Hüsker Dü
11 Unsatisfied / The Replacements
12 Pale Blue Eyes / The Velvet Underground
13 Farewell Adventureland / Yo La Tengo
14 Adventureland Theme Song/Yo La Tengo

Mood Music: What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment