Sunday, December 13, 2009

Christmas time is here...

 


It's the most wonderful time of the year again. It's time for advent calendars. It's time for excessive peppermint ingestion. It's time for milk and cookies. It's time for red and green to briefly remain an acceptable color combo. It's time to break out your Christmas Vacation DVD. It's time for egg nog and festive hob nobs. And most importantly, it's time for Christmas music.

I know. After getting invaded by terrible Christmas crooning at the malls (they always pick the worst ones to play at department stores), sometimes it's hard to remember how awesome Yuletide songs can be. But when they're good, they're golden.

Here are 12 of my favourite Christmas songs - one for each day of Christmas.

1. "Christmas Time is Here" - Charlie Brown



Classic. Classic. Classic. 

2. "White Christmas" - Otis Redding



This song has been done a million times, but nobody does it like Otis. He makes it so soulful it hurts. Gorgeous.

3. "Baby It's Cold Outside" - Zooey Deschanel and Leon Redbone (from the Elf soundtrack) 



This is why I fell in love with Miss Deschanel. (P.S. - She & Him are releasing a sequel to "Volume 1"! They better tour.)

4. "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" - U2



I don't know about you, but I like my Christmas with a side of rock n' roll and an extra helping of yearning.

5. "Little Saint Nick" - The Beach Boys



This song is the definition of holiday cheer.

6. "All I Want for Christmas Is You" - Olivia Olsen



I love Mariah's original but this one wins because it was in  the best festive movie of the times, "Love, Actually".

7. "Christmas Wrapping" - The Waitresses 



This one gets my vote for so many reasons, but mostly because it indulges in the fine art of the pun right from the get go.

8. "Sleigh Ride" - Harry Connick Jr. 



Under Harry's guidance, sleigh bells become mighty saxxy. I love.

9. "Last Christmas" - Wham! 



An 80s Christmas classic by a gay icon? Yes, please.

10. "What's This" - Jack Skellington 



The sights, the sounds! They're everywhere and all around! I've never felt so good - before! This empty place inside of me is filling up. I simply cannot get enough. I want it, oh, I want it. Oh, I want it for my own. I've got to know. I've got to know! What is this place that I have found? What is this?

11. "Fairytale of New York" - The Pogues 



A little bit folky. A little bit rock n' roll. A little bit rude. All around wonderful.

12. "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" - Judy Garland 



After that saucy Saint Nick tune, you'll want to amp up the class again. And who knows classy better than Judy?

Mood Music: "Last Christmas" - Glee Cast

No comments:

Post a Comment