Sunday, June 14, 2009

Snapshots and judgements with Monsieur Mayer..



"You should have seen that sunrise, with your own eyes. It brought me back to life. You'll be with me next time I go outside. No more 3 x 5s." - John Mayer ("3 x 5")

I was having a spontaneous John Mayer listening sesh this evening and I realized, once again, how much this man's lyrics own my soul. Seriously, I don't know how he gets things so dead on all the time. Somehow he manages to take the simpliest sentences and turn them into something so beautiful and bittersweet.

This particular lyric from "3 x 5" particularly pulled at my heart strings tonight. I often wonder if I spend too much time observing and too little time, as my favourite wallflower would put it, "participating". Last week I was just telling my mom that I love to play photographer at family functions because it takes me away from interacting with people. Sure, socializing with barely-there fam and friends may not be as compelling as the life-changing sunrise John speaks of, but you get the idea. Maybe I need to make like Monsieur Mayer, trade in the 3 x 5s and get a solid picture of reality. That is, if I can stop thinking about it and actually get out there. Perhaps this goal won't be as simple as I thought..

P.S. - In case you're wondering, le photograph above (oh, the obvious irony) is from John's 2008 concert at the Molson Ampitheatre. If you haven't seen this man live, you are seriously missing out. And don't bring your camera with you. Cause you'll miss his legendary mid-guitar solo facial orgasms.

Mood Music: "83" by John Mayer

No comments:

Post a Comment