Monday, June 29, 2009

Harper's bizarre-ly beautiful moment..


(RIP Cal & Chloe)

I'm not sure if you've been watching the failed murder mystery series Harper's Island. Being the underdog aficionado that I am, I have been following this series every week. Until this past week, the show has been mildly interesting and semi-scary at times but nothing too amazing. But after this week's crushing episode, I think I may be in love with this nearly-dead series.

At the end of the episode, one of the main characters and half of the show's cutest couple, Cal, is killed by the murderous John Wakefield. Wakefield stabs Cal and pushes him off a bridge in front of his gf, Chloe, who is holding onto the side of the bridge for her life. The scene is pretty heartbreaking up until then, but it veers into full-on mental melt-down territory when the camera pans back to Chloe.

Just as Wakefield lifts his arm to make Chloe meet the wrong side his machete, a beautifully haunting song by Civil Twilight ("Letters From the Sky") begins to swell in the background. Chloe turns Wakefield and says, "You can't have me", before releasing her grip from the bridge and falling into the deep waters next to her late hubby-to-be.

I am pretty sure you don't care a bit about anything I just said, but trust me, if you had watched the series, you would have made like me and weeped like a baby at the perfectly heartwrenching mix of loss, sacrifice and goosebump-inspiring pop-rock ballad. But if any of what I just said tugged at your heartstrings, check out this show before it gets buried forever in two short weeks.





Mood Music: "Wait" by Alexi Murdoch

No comments:

Post a Comment