Saturday, April 4, 2009

Awful sweet to be a Spring Awakening fan..


I saw Spring Awakening at the Canon last night and honestly, as cliched as it sounds, I don't think there are words that could describe how much I loved it.

I saw the show for the first time two summers ago in NYC and was completely head-over-heels in love with everything about it. Particularly, I had a humongoid crush on John Gallagher Jr., who plays the helplessly tragic teen, Moritz Stiefel. He was not only hopelessly adorable, but he had won a well-deserved Tony for his role. Plus, I met him after the show and he was literally the nicest guy I've ever met (if only my camera hadn't broken earlier that day, I'd have a pic-toral with his ridiculously cute self! The boy posed for like 10 pics we me and let me just say, we were very cosy.)

Anywhos, enough about J. Galls (although I beg you to please check out his former band, Old Spring Pike, which now goes by The Spring Standards). The point is, since I had such a connection to the cast that I saw in NY, I was worried that the touring cast, particularly the new Moritz, would fail to live up to my expectations. Boy, was I wrong.

While I'll admit the Wendla wasn't perfect (she was never my favourite anyways), most of the cast was spot-on. Matt Doyle, who plays Melchi these days, is actually perfect. And my god, Blake Bashoff, is quite possibly the closest thing to J. Galls that you could get. Honestly, sometimes he sounded exactly like him - especially during "Don't Do Sadness/Blue Wind", which is my absolute favourite song from the show. I'll admit, he wasn't as cute as J. Galls was - and still is - but he had the twitchy Moritz-isms and the sky-high Stiefel-do down. And that's enough to pull at my heartstrings.

And the cast wasn't the only thing that had my Broadway-lovin' heart-a-beatin'. The bare bones style set fit perfectly in the Canon. It seemed so natural that if you didn't know better, you'd think that SA was the only show that had ever played at the theatre. The lighting was also still as breathtaking as ever (those blue lights during "The Mirror/Blue Night" gave me goosebumps). Oh and that score. The musicians played the songs so perfectly, I felt like I was listening to the soundtrack again for the millionth time.

Basically, all I could think during the show was, to quote Moritz, truly, heaven must feel like this.

Mood Music: "All That's Known" - Spring Awakening

No comments:

Post a Comment